Monday 10 August 2009

Browsers again

Yeah, I know. I need to post more regularly. I've never been one for regular routines though.

Anyway, browsers again. One new one, one old face, SwiftFox, and Chromium.

SwiftFox is similar to SwiftWeasel mentioned before, except it seems to be more up to date, and do a better job. However, like any mozilla-based browser, it suffers from excessive memory and processor use.

Chromium I said before due to it's lack of Flash support, I didn't use much. I've since solved that, and also found a way to get one of my favourite FireFox extensions work too - StumbleUpon.
Firstly, StumbleUpon. I'm not going to hide where I found out, so here's the page it's on.
Useful, neh?

Now for Flash. It turns out, there's a really simple way to do this.
If you'd rather get it from the same place I did, click here.
If not, and you're running a debian, ubuntu, or a box based on either of them, then read on.

1: Download the .tar.gz flash 10 from Adobe
2: Extract the file inside, and make sure you know how to reach where it is in a terminal.
3: Enter this command:
sudo cp ~/Downloads/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
(Replace ~/Downloads/ with the path to the extracted file.
4: run Chromium with the command:
chromium-browser --enable-plugins

If you use a menu item or desktop launcher or any kind of launcher, just edit the command that uses.

Simples.
A caveat, however. Since enabling Flash in Chromium, it's become slightly less stable, and there's the added inconvenience of flash Ads, but that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment